Downtown Blacksburg Inc. is proud to present our business Member of the Month for January, 2018- The National Bank of Blacksburg.
National Bank: Your Local Community Bank
National Bank traces its roots back to 1891, when businessman Alexander Black founded The Bank of Blacksburg to serve the fledgling town’s financial needs. In the 126 years since it first opened its doors, National Bank has grown along with Blacksburg and Southwest Virginia, and today the bank has 25 branch offices and one loan production office, over $1.2 billion in assets, and 230 employees.
Even though much has changed since the bank’s founding, National Bank has always been a local community bank, based here in Blacksburg and dedicated to serving the people of Southwest Virginia.
National Bank’s mission is summarized by the phrase “Banking Built on Values.” The bank’s customers can expect excellence in service based on honesty, integrity and accountability delivered by knowledgeable and valued employees who are committed to serving our communities as genuine professionals.
Stewardship is an important part of National Bank’s mission. The bank supports a wide variety of nonprofit organizations through charitable donations, while the bank’s employees regularly volunteer their time and talent on behalf of civic and community groups throughout the bank’s market area.
The bank grew steadily in the early years, and in 1922 the bank was chartered as a national bank and was renamed The National Bank of Blacksburg (NBB). The bank built and owned its first office in 1942. Seven employees moved to the northeast corner of Main and Roanoke streets to occupy the new building, which still bears the inscription of the bank’s name.
Growth remained steady in the years following World War II, and in 1963 the bank built the current downtown Main Office. The bank’s first branch office on North Main and Progress Streets followed in 1968. By 1984 NBB had grown to four Blacksburg offices. In 1988 the bank added Giles County to its service area with an office in Pearisburg, and in 1990 the Market Place office in Christiansburg was opened.
The 1990s saw a period of rapid growth at the bank. In 1996, National Bankshares (the holding company of National Bank) purchased the Bank of Tazewell County, adding new offices in Tazewell County. In 1999, the bank’s Hubbard Street Blacksburg office was completed. In 2000 the bank acquired offices in Radford, Pulaski and Dublin, while the Bank of Tazewell County subsidiary acquired new offices in Abingdon, Wytheville and Marion.
In 2016 the bank entered the Roanoke market for the first time with a new Loan Production Office in downtown Roanoke.
To learn more about National Bank, please visit their website at www.nbbank.com
Did you know?
Nation Bank of Blacksburg has sponsored the Community Stage at Steppin’ Out for many years.
National Bank Main Office is the only place to buy Downtown Gift Certificates.
National Bank supports many community events and activities through sponsorship and service.