Courtesy of Gourmet Pantry and Cooking School
Mediterranean Wild Rice Salad : Serves 8
- 1 1/2 wild rice, rinsed and picked over
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: Pinch of ground or 3 pieces of whole cloves
For the dressing:
- 2-3 Tbsp white wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 4 Tbsp virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
- Drops of Tabasco to taste
- 1 large tomato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup artichoke, marinated and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots, scallions or onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp slivered, toasted almonds
- Place rice, water, chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and ground cloves into a medium size saucepan.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Simmer for about 30-40 minutes until the rice is cooked though. Cool to lukewarm. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Pour rice into a mixing bowl and discard herbs.
- Dressing: mix vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper, mustard and Tabasco.
- Stir in the chopped tomato, artichoke, green pepper, shallots, and garlic. Pour the dressing over the warm rice and fold in gently, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds before serving.
Note: May substitute lentils for the wild rice for a variation on this recipe.