Post written by Cyndy Graham
The management team at Sharkey’s focuses on three different and equally important things: their happy, friendly staff, the good value you receive for your money, and the opportunity to participate in daily activities or specials. They host bingo games and trivia contests. There is a special every day like “free burger Monday” and “kids eat free” on Tuesday. Their famous salad bar is open 7 days a week, and it is not only delicious, but it is extra healthy with an organic salad mix. They always try to use locally grown ingredients. Sharkey’s is the only restaurant in Blacksburg to offer buffalo (bison) burgers, my personal favorite.
October 8, 2012 was the 20th anniversary of Sharkey’s in Blacksburg. In a place where competition is high, their longevity is a testament to their commitment to quality, and most of all, fun!
Originally from New York, Steph and her business partners came to Blacksburg from Florida in the early 90′s. With thoughts of Miami Vice still swirling in their heads, they decided to give their restaurant a cool, beach theme. And the shark logo isn’t a vicious shark, but Sharkey, the friendly shark, which speaks more to who they are and to their slogan, “Where Good Friends Go!” Steph was looking to open a restaurant in a college town where their customers would be a combination of both students and people from the surrounding area. Sharkey’s was originally called Sharkey’s Bar & Grille and was located in the building next door which had been known as Cricket’s. In 2005, Sharkey’s became Sharkey’s Wing & Rib Joint and moved to its current location at 220 N. Main Street which was formally home to Woody’s, Preston’s, and Arnold’s.
Sharkey’s is continually improving in all areas, and Steph attributes this to their incredible staff who have a direct influence on how they do business. The management team’s philosophy is to empower their staff, a get-better philosophy that can change people’s lives. They also listen to their customers, who are always referred to as guests. Due to guest feedback, on free burger Monday you don’t need to use your coupon that day, but can come back anytime and the coupon does not expire! They are “cool like that.”
In 2007 they decided to expand by opening a second location in Radford. Sharkey’s has been voted“Best Bar,” “Best Place to Watch Sports,” and “Best Happy Hour” (7 years in a row) by the readers of the Virginia Tech Collegiate Times.
Did you know???
- Sharkey’s partnered with Cafe de Bangkok to produce a one of a kind special barbecue sauce for the Summer Solstice Fest Wing Eating Contest in June 2012. Apparently the wings and sauce were delicious and competition was fierce! Everyone came out a winner- they all got to eat bucket loads of wings! Prizes were also awarded to those who ate the most in the time allocated.
- Sharkey’s also hosted the Downtown Blacksburg, Inc. Cash Mob on August 21, 2012. The Mob visited John’s Camera Corner to shop and then enjoyed a delicious meal on the delightful patio behind Sharkey’s- best of all- because it was a Tuesday all the kids ate FREE! Showing true community spirit and appreciation for the Cash Mob participants, Sharkey’s even provided some great FREE appetizers for the whole group!
Sharkey’s Wing & Rib Joint
220 N. Main St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Sharkey’s offer something special every day of the week! Click the links below to find out more
- Sunday Wing & Pizza Buffet
- Mondays Free Burger Monday!
- Tuesdays Kids Eat Free
- Wednesdays Wing & Pizza Buffet
- Thursdays Half Off Appetizers!
- 7 Days a Week Soup, Salad & Potato Bar
Sharkey’s Host regular Wing Eating Challenges- have you ever participated? Share with us in the comments below about your favorite Sharkey’s experience and you could win a Downtown Gift certificate …to use at Sharkey’s!